Monday, December 1

just do it

i need to share something personal...
i have tried my best to keep this blog light and avoid any big issues but something big has happened in my family. my brother was diagnosed with hodgkin lymphoma this summer. his life has been turned upside down as he has moved back to california from d.c. and is getting treatment at stanford.
when someone you love is sick, there is a feeling of helplessness. what can i do to make him feel better? what can i do to make the cancer disappear? we know that the team at stanford is amazing but i want to do more. team in training approached my brother about being an honoree which means people train and complete athletic events to honor his battle with cancer. so, i signed up with the team.
this is a big challenge for me. i enjoy walking and will get on the treadmill or walk around the neighborhood for exercise but i have never come close to 13 miles! this is a personal challenge for me yet i also feel that it is something i have to do for my brother. he did not have a choice about getting cancer.
the 1/2 marathon takes place on february 1st and i have a lot of walking/running to do before the big day! i will let you know how things are going with my training.
if you have any advice or words of wisdom on completing a half marathon..please share with me!
if you feel like giving to the cause, here is the link for my fundraising page: loren's team in training page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Loren,
Thought I'd leave a note to let you know that I am thinking of you and your brother. TNT is an amazing experience...I did 3 triathlons & a century ride with them. It helps immensely with the helpless feeling & you will be surrounded with people who are all fighting cancer one way or another...and people who are thinking positive and enjoying life. Enjoy the ride & stay strong with your brother. Go Team!